Friday, December 18, 2015

Reflecting on Collaborative Sketchbooks

This year one of my my goals was to promote creative expression through drawing by provide every student a sketchbook. Then I realized it would cost and arm and a leg. Bummer. So instead, I invested a little over $100.00 and purchased 31 tabletop sketchbooks that have turned into Collaborative Sketchbooks.
 The collaborative Sketchbook is a sketchbook that is assigned to a table. The sketchbooks are color coded along with the tabletop. Students are assigned seating charts every 3-4 weeks and rotate to different colored tables. Therefore, they are always drawing in different sketchbooks.
 When students rotate to new tables, they enjoy viewing sketches from their peers. They understand that they are to simply view and take in what is drawn. Sometimes, students sign their work and sometimes students do not. I am OK with this so long a they practice their drawing skills.
 At the beginning of the year I spent a day introducing them to this new sketchbook addition and process. I showed them a video about sketchbook art. I also gave them a drawing prompt, took them outside and allowed a good deal of sketch time. Students really enjoyed this.
 As the year progressed, the sketchbooks transitioned into an early finisher project. It became automatic for students to begin sketching in the sketchbook once they completed their classwork. This was something that I hadn't anticipated! JOY!
 Just this week I took some time to flip through the books. With very little "structured" time devoted to drawing or sketching I walked away feeling affirmed that this investment was worth EVERY penny. Though there were many "doodles, there were many well developed drawings. I feel both have equal value.
 My goal for 2016 is to devote a bit more time integrating drawing with the use of the sketchbooks. I think providing students with a prompt is key, especially for those students who are not as confident with their drawing skills. Having a list of drawing prompts taped within the sketchbook might be a good way to simplify.
 What I love most about the sketchbooks is learning more about my students. Any way I can tap into students creative expression allows for more ways in which I can connect with them as individuals.