Sunday, February 28, 2016

Temporary Art: Pancake Art and Oreo Relief Sculptures, Yes Please!!!

I am totally taking advantage of having a small group of 9 kids this week to explore Temporary Art. You know, art that is, well, TEMPORARY! There is a ton of temporary art forms out there like windshield art, sandcastle art, snow art. However, we will be focusing on the culinary aspect of temporary art with the challenge of creating Pancake Art and Oreo Relief Sculptures!

Luckily, my hubby is a Culinary Teacher and has agreed to hook me up with some helpful equipment like squeeze bottles, electric griddles, spatulas, batter, syrup and gel food coloring. To help kids plan, I  drafted a simple planning doc with video links so the kids can plan out their designs. Once the classroom is set up I will start off with showing the students the video above to get them hooked!

I can already imagine the sounds of encouragement and laughter as the kids experience and play with this art form. There will be loads of batter for epic fails, but I am sure each student will create something cool and unique! I will upload their final Pancake Art onto Artsonia so that there will be some permanence to their experience before they gobble down their art.

The next challenge will be creating Relief Sculpture out of Oreos. Seriously,  I'm already drooling just writing about this! Who doesn't love an Oreo Cookie? I got this idea from a few Art Teachers I follow on Twitter who have recently tweeted out their O-O-, O-R-E-O designs and I cannot wait to get started! As opposed to pancake art, this challenge will take require more focus and use of fine motor skills and will fit nicely after the Pancake Art challenge.  I created this simple planning doc with video links so they can plan out their positive and negative space designs. Each student will receive 4 cookies and toothpicks and sculpt away! I may even be extra nice and bring ice cold milk. Check out this cool video!
I am excited to get to be able to work with a small group this week and really think we will have a great time working together. If you want to explore Temporary Art, I suggest you try one Pancake Art or Oreo Art. I'm sure your students will say, "Yes, Please!"