Tuesday, December 20, 2016

8th Grade Post-it Note Challenge

Let's face it. Keeping students engaged on the last 2 days before break can be tricky. I did not want to start a new project that would need to be carried over after break. I also didn't want to add busy work to simply "Fill in" the days. I wanted to use that short window of time to inspire and engage students with something worthwhile and meaningful. I also wanted whatever we created to be a part of the Pop Art Exhibit. Sooo, I took a chance and went for a project that I had been eyeing ever since I saw the Middle School move: Post-It Note murals.

This project took 2 45 minute periods. The result yielded in 16- 3' X 3' murals that will hang in the exhibit. The Post-it notes were the expense- but one extension the students can take on is how we can repurpose them once the exhibit comes down- I have ideas on that, too. 2 4-packs of each color was all we needed. Yellow was the most popular color with red coming in second. If you are going to try this invest in the super sticky kind as they will have longevity in their "stick".

This project was just what we needed- and I don;t think I would add any more time to it. However, I there are ways to make the most out of the time now that I have been through the process and have seen the progression of the designs. I encourage you to try this project! So much problem solving an collaboration went into each design. Check them out!