Saturday, March 5, 2016

1,2,3,4,5 Challenge

So I was challenged by Trisha Sanchez to take the 1,2,3,4,5 Challenge. Here it goes:

1. What has been your one biggest struggle during this school year?

My one biggest struggles has been containing my excitement! You see, up until this year I have struggled with teacher envy and holding myself back from taking risks which resulted in limiting the scope of what we create in the art room This year I decided to take control of the direction of the art room by cutting loose from comfort, following my gut and pursuing my dreams! Sounds so corny, but I don't care! This year has been totally revolutionary for me as a teacher, learner and artist. I have a revitalized sense of confidence and purpose and see artistic possibilities for my students to create everywhere I turn. Here are some examples of new projects/risks I took so far this school year with my students:
Ceiling Tile Op Art Murals
Masking Tape Perspective Mural Collaboration
Book Title Ceiling Tile Collaboration
Forced Perspective Digital Drawing Mash-up
Claymation Animation
Gothic Cathedral Mural Collaboration

I have NEVER felt so excited to be an art teacher!

2. Share two accomplishments that you are proud of from this school year:


  • My first accomplishment that I strive to make a priority EVERY school year is positively connecting with parents and students outside of school on a weekly basis. How? This year I began sending three positive emails home each week, thats right- each week! So that means that to date I have sent at least 75 individual positive emails out to parents and students.  Here is an example email that I sent to parents and Cc students:


Good Morning,

I am writing to let you know how much I am enjoying having _____ as a student in Expressions. With the amount of dedication she puts forth in all of her artwork demonstrates a high level of artistic skill and ability! Plus, she is just so darn fun to have in class. Just wanted to share.
P.S. Ask ___about her pancake art skills!



  • My second accomplishment is grant writing! This year I have been awarded two grants that have provided me the financial freedom to pursue new projects and ideas. Now that I have had success, I am more open and willing to take the time to pursue more grant opportunities that can benefit all students!

$500.00 Chalk It Up Grant
3. What are three things you wish to accomplish before the end of the school year?

Goal #1: Earn my k-12 Visual Art Credential. I took the coursework last summer and test for the Art CSET on March 31. I don't just want to pass. I want to KILL IT!

Goal #2: Finish the school year with the same momentum, if not stronger, than I have right now. Next year I go back into my classroom full-time and I absolutely cannot wait! 

Goal #3: Reflect and Refine curriculum and content for the 2016-17 school year. This cycle is a constant process for me that continues to put students and their best interests FIRST.


4. Give four reasons why you remain in education in today's rough culture:

1. Creating. That fact that I GET TO CREATE as a job and share that opportunity to be creative with other human beings is a beautiful thing. 

2. Engagement. I am not the typical teacher who came to this profession based on my success or positive experiences with school. I am the total opposite. I started flunking out of school in the 5th grade, was expelled twice out of two districts, placed into private school and literally bought my high school diploma. It wasn't until my late twenties that I realized education could provide me with the stability and structure that my recklessly youthful life had been lacking. My goal as an educator is to engage all students, particularly those who are not "engaged". I feel like ART provides my students with a voice that allows them to communicate and connect with others providing them with positive experiences of engagement.

3. Autonomy. The ability to create and implement my own curriculum is very rewarding. It allows me to challenge myself and my students, learn from failures and continue the pursuit of excellence.

4. Kids. I love working with kids of all ages but I especially like the middle school age. I am constantly inspired by the things they teach me every day. I am devoted to providing them with artistic experiences that challenge and inspire them in return.

5. Which five people do you hope will take the challenge of answering these five questions.
  • @smartARTisteacher
  • @iansands
  • @tracyannhare
  • @ARTschukei
  • @WallerArt