Sunday, March 13, 2016

Trying to stay focused and then...SQUIRREL!

I have worked very hard this year so that March could be free of madness in order for me to focus on studying for the Art CSET that I have scheduled to take on March 31. I have a study schedule mapped out on my calendar and have about 10 hours of studying under my belt so far with the plan of studying for at least 30 more hours before my test date. I have produced my own personal art portfolio that is ready to present and in terms of teaching, my curriculum is set for the rest of the year with the exception of prep time and a little bit of classroom maintenance to do that I tackle in between my study breaks. So all it really comes down to is focus and studying. Oh, how I love a good plan! And then it happens... SQUIRREL!

Last week, two distractions strip me of all human control. I feel like Doug in the Pixar movie "Up" that sees a squirrel and goes for the chase. Squirrel Number 1: Flexible Seating Convo

So our school has some funds for non consumables which may get funneled into retrofitting our classrooms into more progressive learning spaces. EXCITING! This conversation left me with the task of evaluating my already functional learning space and the processes we do within it. However, after some time reflecting I honestly could not envision my kids wedging and coiling clay on the floor, or building a cathedral on a couch, or sewing a king-sized pillow on a hokki stool. Not in a box, Not with a fox! Done, right?! WRONG! What I continue to think about and ask myself is: "What element is missing from my classroom that I wish I had?"


And with that question comes Squirrel Number 2: Donors Choose #BestSchoolDay

The day AFTER the Flexible Seating Convo my second Donors Choose Project got funded. WOW! I'm feeling SUPER squirrel lucky! Now the project itself was not what sparked my squirrel chasing inhibitions. Rather, it was the possibility that ANOTHER project I write in the future COULD get funded. So, once again, the question of "What element is missing from my classroom that I wish I had" keeps spiraling through my brain.

The chase is on! When I think of the ideal space for creating art and combine that thought with the element missing in my classroom I think of the Great Outdoors. Our students LOVE to be outside- in fact, I keep a desk outside my door in case students request to work outside and almost every day a student chooses to work outside. Heck, I love to be outside! And really, how hard could it be to create an outdoor art space? In the raw, cheap, and not so aesthetically pleasing vision I  see flexible work stations made up of folding tables, tree stumps and pallets. As easy as that sounds, I don't think that idea will fly with Admin! So after doing some research and seeing what's out there, my vision has become more refined and polished-but with a learning objective, not furniture.

I now see an outdoor learning space as an OPPORTUNITY for our program to enhance learning experiences that would otherwise occur in the classroom. Research shows that students better absorb and retain math, science, language arts, and other skills that incorporate their immediate environment and use all five senses (Lieberman and Hoody 1998). In addition, trends in education like STEM, Maker Movement, Design Thinking and Project-Based Learning lend themselves to be developed and explored in more natural settings that interact with elements the outdoors provide. Research and trends aside, it's just plain fun to work outside!
To satisfy the squirrel chasing in me, my studying breaks will include doing more research about Outdoor Learning Spaces. This blog post is just a start. SQUIRREL!