Wednesday, November 30, 2016

How Disneyland Inspired 8th Grade Light Painting

In the summer of 2015 I camped out in my garage with my then 10 and 7 year old, an iPad and flashlights trying to figure out how we I could create a light painting design. I was just coming off of a Disneyland Vacation so I was totally inspired by the lights of the parades and totally determined to make my own magic! There were TONS of tutorials using a DSLR camera, but nothing on using personal devices. After a lot of research I discovered slow shutter cam app, which allows for long exposure photography on the iPad. Here are my practice shots from the garage using the app, flashlight and lightbomber- another light painting app. 2015.
This year my classroom was fortified with 12 iPad mini's- YAY! So, I had the slow shutter cam loaded and put light painting on the books! This year was my test year, and I learned SO much from this go around. I also surveyed the kids for their feedback. Overwhelmingly the kids wanted more time- which I totally agree with. We really only had about 1 hour of light painting when it was all said and done. From my perspective the camera on the iPads was tricky for some. I think what makes the difference is a stable tripod, proper app settings and a completely blacked out background in a addition to lots of practice and playtime. Despite all this, the kids created amazing designs!







The kids LOVED Light Painting and I can wait to revise this lesson and reteach it in the future! If Disneyland inspired this, What If Teacher Vacations were considered Professional Development?