Thursday, April 9, 2015

Zentangle watercolor animal

I am in LOVE with this upcoming project and the many processes involved with creating the Zentangle watercolor animal. I decided to use an Easter Bunny as my subject since I had a perfect example on my kitchen tablecloth! After I drew the bunny I created sections using the anchor and strands method. From there I used a fine point sharpie to go over all of my pencil and then erased the visible pencil. I used a variety of zentangle patterns from the Internet. I think having the i-pads in class during this stage would be really helpful for the kiddos because it is fun and challenging trying not to repeat patterns- looks cool too! At first I would pencil in my patterns and then go over them with ultra fine sharpie. After I got comfortable with repetitive patterns I was able to create them freehand without the pencil. VERY ADDICTING!

I LOVE the striking contrast between the black patterns and white paper but continued on with watercolor. I choose a pastel color scheme to go with the Easter Bunny theme. Once the sections within the bunny were painted I choose a a muted green and finished it off with an overlay of Saran wrap. I'll let that sit overnight and reveal the outcome in the morning. SO FUN! This is definitely WAY too involved to be a final project but I think sticking it right in the middle of the unit will keep kids engaged and challenged throughout the unit.